On the 10-day Country Roads of Umbria & Tuscany tour our guests are welcomed into the kitchens of zesty ‘Etruscan chef’ Lorenzo Polegri, who shares his virtuoso cooking skills and love of Italian food.
Delicious pasta fresca, combined with the local staples of olive oil, cheese, prosciutto and focaccia, all accompanies with a chilled glass of Orvieto Classico wine.
Why not bring a little of Tuscany into your own kitchen! Here’s a classic Italian recipe to whet your appetite.
- 300g Strong Bread Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Instant Yeast (from a sachet or a tub)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 100ml Passata
- Handful of fresh Basil or 1 Teaspoon dried
- 1 Garlic Clove, crushed
- 125g Ball Mozzarella, sliced
- Handful of grated or shaved Parmesan
- Handful of Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- Handful of Basil leaves (optional)
Cook: 8-10 minutes
- Make the base: Put the flour into a large bowl, then stir in the yeast and salt. Make a well, pour in 200ml warm water and the olive oil and bring together with a wooden spoon until you have a soft, fairly wet dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 mins until smooth. Cover and set aside.
- Make the sauce: Mix the passata, basil and crushed garlic together, then season to taste. Leave to stand at room temperature while you shape the base.
- Roll out the dough: If you’ve let the dough rise, give it a quick knead, then split into two balls. On a floured surface, roll out the dough into large rounds, about 25cm across, using a rolling pin. The dough needs to be very thin as it will rise in the oven. Lift the rounds onto two floured baking sheets.
- Top and bake: Heat oven to 240C/Fan 220C/Gas 8. Put another baking sheet or an upturned baking tray in the oven on the top shelf. Smooth sauce over bases with the back of a spoon. Scatter with cheese and tomatoes, drizzle with olive oil and season. Put one Pizza, still on its baking sheet, on top of the preheated sheet or tray. Bake for 8-10 mins until crisp. Serve with a little more olive oil, and basil leaves if using. Repeat step for remaining Pizza.