One of our UK consultants, Jane O’Connor, has just returned from the Highlights of Europe tour. Asked to give her top 10 moments, Jane picked:
- Everything about Rome, from the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, St Peters Basilica, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Colosseum, the Forum, the people, the dining and the entertainment – all truly memorable!
- Strolling into St Mark’s Square for the first time. During our magical Venice tour we stopped for a pre-dinner drink in this most romantic of places. One of those ‘pinch yourself’ moments.
- My first view of Venice. Travelling on the water taxi to our hotel was breath-taking. No guide book or magazine can do it justice.
- Getting to know my fellow travelling companions. There was a great mix of ages and backgrounds, couples and single people. Any concerns I had about being a single traveller were forgotten before we landed in France. Everyone was just excited about the trip and there was such a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.
- Driving to Italy through snow covered alpine scenery. When leaving Austria, I was gazing wistfully out the window, surrounded by a winter wonderland, with the soothing sounds of Johan Strauss drifting through the coach. It was just perfect.
- Spending time in the picture perfect town of Rothenburg. Strolling the spotless cobblestone streets and browsing for souvenirs in the cosy shops. Walking along the fortified wall with its stunning views of the Tauber and marvelling at the colourful half-timbered houses.
- Arriving in Salzburg, with snow blanketing the monuments and buildings. Our guide, Gabby, was so enthusiastic and clearly loved her home city, which made our sightseeing tour even more insightful and fascinating.
- Spending time in the Hofbräuhaus Bierkeller in Munich. What a great afternoon, sampling the beers, the sauerkraut and pretzels (with mustard to dip them in), whilst being waited on by staff dressed in traditional German costume.
- The coach. It was nothing like I expected. There was loads of legroom and huge panoramic windows. Plus our Tour Director and driver were fantastic: they organised, advised and assisted us throughout the tour, as well as providing expert commentary.
- Relaxing on the Rhine cruise. It was a perfect opportunity to sit back and chat with my fellow guests while taking in the incredible scenery.
* Photographs by Jane O’Connor