No Insight Vacation would be complete without lots of opportunity to enjoy authentic cooking and local specialties, like the famous Pasteis de Nata (Portuguese Custard Tarts) from Pastéis de Belém in Lisbon. Why not try this traditional recipe to whet your appetite?
Pastéis de Nata (Portugeuese Custard Tarts)
- 1 (500g) Packet Puff Pastry
- 225ml (8 fl oz) Milk
- 3 Tablespoons Cornflour
- 200g (7 oz) Caster Sugar
- ½ Vanilla Bean
- 6 Egg Yolks
Prep: 20min › Cook: 20min › Ready in: 40min
- Preheat oven to 190 °C or Gas mark five. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin and line bottom and sides of cups with puff pastry.
- In a saucepan, combine milk, cornflour, sugar and vanilla. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Place egg yolks in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk ½ of the hot milk mixture into egg yolks. Gradually add egg yolk mixture back to remaining milk mixture, whisking constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, for five minutes, or until thickened. Remove vanilla bean.
- Fill pastry-lined muffin tin with mixture and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is lightly browned on top.
Our guests can enjoy a demonstration and tasting at the famous Pastéis de Belém on the following escorted journeys:
- Country Roads of Portugal | 11 days
- Amazing Spain & Portugal | 10 days
- Best of Spain & Portugal | 16 days